Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Manual Labor, Sun Burns & Jazz...

Since it was Mother's day weekend and all, I felt it was time to admit something that is very MaryAnnish...my mother is a work-a-holic and I may have inherited some of that too. I really enjoy some hard manual labor every once in a while as it makes me feel alive! After I dropped the boys off on Saturday, I went to Ottawa to work on some of mom's rentals. We have had a lot of issues lately and I desperately need them fixed. Since I no longer work at the coffeehouse this was my first weekend that I could do some work. One of our houses was trashed and abandoned. To say these people lived in filth is an understatement. I have photos of the 6 inches of filth, food, maggots, dirty diapers, trash and clothes that covered the entire house but I'd rather not share those. It would make you sick. Because of how they left the house, we decided to tear up the carpet and replace it....but after pulling up all of the layers we found this beautiful hard wood floor! After more digging we found hard wood in both bedrooms and the living room. I was sooo excited as it would save us thousands and would be so much easier with renters!


The two bedrooms had 2 layers of carpet, then 2 layers of old vinyl tile on top of the nice floor. They had been well preserved under all that stuff!


I didn't get home until about 8pm and I was a nice rosy pink from riding with the top down on the car...but my sweet hubby surprised me with a night out at 12th St. Jump in downtown KC. The Marriott hosts Public Radio's weekly jazz, blues and comedy jam while it is aired LIVE on KCUR FM 89.3. It is free to get in and it starts at Midnight. The Jazz was phenomenal!!! Scott wanted to be sure I had a nice night out for Mother's Day and it was a great way to unwind after a hard day of manual labor. If you live near KC, I highly recommend this event. It is world class music right here in KC. I can't wait to go back!


Oh! I forgot to mention that I got my sweet cards and present on Friday night...new black/gray/pink Fila running shoes! They were the perfect color and Noah wanted to go test them out right away...meaning he wanted to go running that night. :) I have such a great husband! He is my biggest fan, he goes out of his way to show me how much he appreciates me as a mother and who loves me in spite of my need to start organizing and cleaning the loft at 11pm most nights...he is perfect for me and he makes me a better parent!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know this is not Facebook, but Like like like like like!!!

Unknown said...

Which was your favorite part? The manual labor? The gutter cleaning? The rental rehab? The sweet date night? The awesome jazz? Making everyday things an event? :)