Friday, January 15, 2010

1935

My Aunt Norma sent me some more great photos from 1935. My dad was 3, Aunt Norma 6 and Aunt Betty 5 months. My Aunt Betty said, "Mother and Dad were hard workers. I never saw either one of them in bed. They were out working when i got up and were still working when I went to bed. Mother worked in the fields and made three wonderful meals a day. She made our bread, baked pies, canned lots of fruit and beans, made jelly and fed the hired help. After a full day she would stay up at night making our dresses, drapes, patch quilts, etc....Mother did have some health problems. Women were not made to work like she did, but that didn't keep her down long."

I am sad that my memories are fading the longer my dad is gone. He used to tell us the best stories about growing up on a farm during the depression. I need to get some of these stories written down by my sweet Aunts (hint, hint) so I can read them to the kids. I vaguely remember one where Aunt Norma stabbed my dad with a fork but somehow Aunt Norma's version involves my dad trying to take something off her plate...his version never mentioned that. Funny.

I love these old photos and the memories that come with them. I really like seeing my dad as a 3 yr. old too. It's hard to believe that my grandparents have been gone for about 20 years too. Life just goes by way too fast! Thanks for the special photos Aunties!







No comments: