Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Solar System...in Dowtown KC

Two weeks ago I took the kids on another free downtown adventure. I am loving KC Kids Fun more and more and I found a gem of an activity on there last month. The Kauffman Foundation funded this fun, educational project called, " The Voyage: A Journey Through Our Solar System.
Voyage is a scale-model solar system you can explore and it runs south along Baltimore through the Crossroads District, then ends in front of historic Union Station. 
Voyage is based on the original model that currently stands on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. Kansas City’s exhibition was the first to replicate the scale of the original. It is different from the original in that two new stanchions were commissioned by the Kauffman Foundation. One stanchion is for Eris, a dwarf planet that is the farthest object now seen in our Solar System, and the final stanchion is called Explorers. The Explorers stanchion marks the location of Voyager 1 – the farthest human-made object in the exhibition... 

We started at 13th and Baltimore and headed thru the Solar System starting with....the Sun...The thing that was hard to comprehend was that this model was built at ONE TEN-BILLIONTH the size of the actual solar system...like I said...hard to grasp that...

 You can see how the tour started...the planets closer to the sun...seemed really close to the sun because they were only 25-30 paces away...times ten billion that is...

Behold...the Sun...at one ten-billionth of it's real size...If I stretched my hand out as far as I could...it was as wide as the space between my thumb and pinky...so hard to imagine it as full size!

The stations were very creative and informative...

My goofy-Icanwalkthepacesfasterthanyoucan-kids...

Learned a lot about asteroids and comet's too...


And enjoyed the downtown scenery while on our hike...Noah loves this wall...

And to cool off after our 2 hour hike...we had some yummy Gelato at one of our favorite spots...I had yummy pear...how refreshing does that look? Yum!

It was great to get more exercise, learn about science and get reacquainted with the Solar System. 
Great Exhibit!

No comments: