Saturday, July 31, 2010

I Agree With Anne Rice


Legendary author Anne Rice has announced that she’s quitting Christianity.


Rice wrote, “For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian ... It's simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”
Rice then added another post explaining her decision on Thursday:
“My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me," Rice wrote. "But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been or might become.”
••••••••••
I know that God is not a God of manipulation, deceit, abusive control, alienation and emotional abuse so if this is what your fruit looks like, you might want to consider what "god" you are following...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

An interesting story. The thing that I would have to ask, is when some pronounces such an broad accusation against the church, aren't they in effect saying that they are better and smarter than the church? Think about it.

I understand that there are bad people in the church. Which it could be argued that they are not really "the church", but just tares amongst the wheat. Any movement, religion, group, etc has bad people in it. Do we judge every institution by them. Not really. There are bad moms, but not all moms are bad. Are the majority of people in church bad? Maybe in some, but I don't think in all. Shouldn't christians be better? Yes. And a lot are, or at least better than they were before. But that is a tough bar to measure people by, especially when most of us don't want to be measure by it ourselves. But you want people to accept you with your faults, so why not the church as well? Why do we judge it so harshly, and we not wanting judgement, judge it so. So aren't the people that remove themselves just as judgemental and as bad? If church is supposed to be a place where no hypocrites or bad people exist, then how do we achieve that? Remove them? I think that would be a little harsh (and maybe an empty place). Christ explained to us that bad people would exist within the fold, even come out from it. So we armed with that knowledge and shouldn't be surprised. The Bible also explains that we are a body, held together, so how can we remove ourselves and become a finger without a hand or a body? These are just thoughts and nothing against you personally. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

@Anonymous - The issue has nothing to do with humans being imperfect or making any eternal judgment against anyone. I believe what Ann Rice is talking about and what Dawnua is agreeing with is the intentional misuse and the abuse of influence that those in "spiritual" leadership levy against followers. That, coupled with the Christian-right's wrong-headedness on virtually every political issue (abortion is wrong, but let's kill people on death row! Christ said to care for the poor, but let's deny medical care to children of immigrants!) makes for an institution that is physically and emotionally damaging. Of course there are pockets of Christians and entire churches that don't fit that mold, but when it comes to deciding whether or not one wants to be associated with a particular group, the overall image and message of that group has to be taken into account.
As someone who obviously is a part of that group and who feels the need to defend the church, don't you think that you should be one of it's loudest critics if you don't fit the image that is usually portrayed? Instead of making excuses and getting angry or "unfriending" people that view things differently, maybe you should look at the criticism and ask yourself, "Which is more offensive, ME or the GOSPEL."
Choosing to not associate with an institution that is openly homophobic, xenophobic, nationalistic to the point of idolatry and generally seems to enjoy kicking it's own when they are down, is a choice towards a healthier more intelligent life.

DDawson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DDawson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DDawson said...

Dear Imaging Technologies friend...

While no longer a FB friend it is still ok to leave your name when leaving a comment. Honesty and transparency are always the best policy, especially when you are defending something you strongly believe in and a great place to start would be with your name...

There is a lot of assuming going on in your response. I found the article interesting and wanted to share it. I don't assume to know Anne's heart but I was moved by her decision. As a more public figure her spiritual life has been watched, scrutinized, celebrated, questioned and followed...yours and mine have not. I think we get a clear picture of her heart by this line, “My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me,". No where in that line do I see Anne Rice saying that she is smarter or better than the church. Sometimes people end up in unhealthy churches and relationships with "Christians" and need to remove themselves from that unhealthy connection. Why would you think that this means someone believes they are smarter and better than the church?

I also agree with Rice when she says, "... following Christ does not mean following His followers..." Have you met some of his followers? They are some of the most judgmental, harsh, critical, unloving, bitter, manipulative and temper tantrum throwing people I have ever met. But, do you know why? Because they are sinners.

DDawson said...

part 2...

You are right, there are bad people in the church and out of the church and even leading the church. And you could argue all you want about them not really being "the church" but that would assume that you know their heart, their fears, their sins and their relationship with the Father. No matter where these people are in their walk, they are "the church" especially to outsiders who wander in to that particular church building, looking for love, grace and mercy only to find judgment, cliches and criticism.

You are assuming that those who need to distance themselves from "the church" are doing it because they are judging the church and are therefore bad too? Why does it have to be such an extreme? Why can't it be that they have been beaten down by too many church people who consistently use GOD as a weapon to manipulate those who are in a different place? It seems to me that Anne Rice was setting herself apart from the junk that gets thrown around under the title Christian. Her relationship with Christ will probably improve as she removes herself from the nonsense, dogma and hatred that SHE was surrounded by.

I also don't believe "church is supposed to be a place where no hypocrites or bad people exist"...because church is filled with people...who are sinners...who are selfish, fearful and judgemental. Some people are better at fighting these faults than others but church is definitely a place where you can be hurt. You could remove the people if you want, but you would have to remove everyone...It would be great if church was a safe place but typically you will still get hurt...especially if you get involved.

DDawson said...

part 3...

I also think there is a difference in accepting the church with all of its faults and removing yourself from an unhealthy association. In my life, I grew up in church and have attended 4 different churches...meaning years at a time at each church. I had some great experiences in each church and learned many lessons while there. Some of the most memorable lessons are the ones that I learned while watching the people around me. I saw selfishness, hatred, judgement, criticism, fear, gossip and greed all behind the scenes while "the church" ministered to peoples needs. Just because churches can and do great things, it doesnt mean their name isnt tainted. In two of those church relationships, I removed myself from that group after 5 yrs and 3 yrs with them. It was painful and easy at the same time.

I am confident in my relationship with Christ and agreed with most of Anne's post. There was no judging involved on my part. I can see why she would distance herself when there are such a wide variety of "spokes people" for Christians...There are Far left, middle, far right and cult leaders speaking for God every day...is God really this confused that His message is so different several times a day? Or is His name being used for man's selfish needs? And if this is the "face" of Christianity can you really blame anyone for removing themselves from this label?