Monday, July 12, 2010

CNN Money - #7

So I happened to read an article today from CnnMoney.com on the 100 Best Places to live in America...and while I love our little town (K.C.) and its quaint suburbs...little did I know that the place where we spend most of our time....IS NUMBER SEVEN in that TOP 100! I was so excited I looked around for someone to tell...and since I was alone I am telling YOU!


100 Best Places to Live in America, 2010 edition

by Beth Braverman, Veronica Crews, Anne C. Lee, Jessica Levine, Ismat Sarah Mangla, Vanessa Richardson, Donna Rosato, and Pieter van Noordennen, CNNMoney.com


Overland Park, KS
Population: 175,000 
Unemployment: 5.3%
Pluses: Good schools, low cost of living
Minuses: Some job losses, not much excitement

Ask residents why they chose this Kansas City suburb and you hear one thing over and over: the schools.
Other draws include a 300-acre arboretum and botanical garden, a biweekly farmers' market, and a brand-new 12-field soccer complex, which hosts local and national tournaments.
Overland Park's biggest challenge in recent years has been from its largest employer, Sprint. The company laid off more than 3,000 people here from 2007 to 2009.
But the town has had enough success attracting new employers that its jobless rate is still well below the national average. What's more, a division of J.P. Morgan plans to move 800 positions here early next year.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I love how they say "Not much excitement." Sounds like the perfect place to raise kids! You can make your own excitement!

Sometimes_Carol said...
This comment has been removed by the author.