It has been one looooong week. I was supposed to help at the boys' school with a really cool exhibit (Body Venture) but it just happened to fall on the day after Grandma's surgery and I just didn't think I could pull it off. Noah wanted to know why I didn't make it but he filled me in on what a healthy vs smokers lung looks like...I'll spoil the secret and tell you that one is pink while one is black with holes...we were also looking forward to seeing Noah's 2 month volcano project but after it was graded someone knocked it to the ground...
The boys came home with lots of stories on Friday...and with 3 crazy boys you KNOW they tried to tell me at the SAME TIME right? Sometimes I feel like a referee and once asked Scott to buy me a striped jersey...but no such luck...yet. Lucas' big news was that his friend M. had KISSED S. on the lips SEVEN times that day!!! He had already told us several weeks ago that recess is the BEST time to kiss because of all the hiding places...but promised he had NEVER done that...he just knows what the other kids do. Well, when he saw his friends kiss, he told his best friend S. that he was too young for kissing and that it was innapropriate! (can you tell we use this word a lot?) The best part is that he told S. that he wasn't going to have a KISSY, KISSY girlfriend until he was 18! Awww, a momma can only hope....right?
Noah's big news was that he had brought his grades up in just 2 weeks. When Scott got Noah's progress report there were several items of concern and Noah was very disappointed in himself as well. After some great communication, new rules and goals were set in place and Noah seemed to "come alive" at school. His teacher told Scott that he was very proud of Noah and that he wished all of his students would do what he is doing. Noah is now paying attention, following directions and we can see a difference in his spirit as well. When I shared his great news with Grandma, she started to cry. It was so startling that I jumped up because I thought something was wrong with her and that she was in pain. Of course I started to cry too when she said she was just so proud of him and knew he could do better. She was overjoyed!
Eli's big news was that he had a rough ending to his day. One of the girls in his class asked him to eat lunch with her and her mom. Any time the kids' parents come to lunch, they get to ask a friend to join them and they sit up on the stage. The sweet girl who asked him gets made fun of...a lot...but Eli is such a sweetheart that he is friends with everyone...and no, I'm not just saying that cause I'm biased. He is so much like Scott in that he is genuine and really cares about people and it makes him a magnet...so when S. asked he said yes and as soon as they got to the cafeteria, some kids in his class were yelling across the room that they felt sorry for him...but Eli ignored them and ate lunch with S. During lunch, two of his friends were talking about him and he was upset that they were talking about him behind his back. (this was the bad part of his day and the point of his story) After lunch the kids made fun of S. some more and she was crying. S's mom told Eli that what he did (eating with them) really showed her what kind of a person he was. I was so moved by this story because it's the classic peer pressure story...and ELI passed with FLYING colors! Isn't that what we want for our kids? To know who they are and to be confident in doing the right thing, no matter what anyone says? So, even though he shared the story out of frustration, we turned it into a teachable moment about character....and when I told this to grandma...she just kept on crying...
On friday, I made an EPICALLY bad dinner...the WORST dinner I have ever made. I tried to rename it "Cajun Spaghetti" but no one was buying it and we couldn't eat it...so after we ate our salad...we jumped in the truck and headed to Krispy Kreme where we used up 10 FREE doughnut coupons and a FREE espresso coupon...such a well balanced meal for my sweet family...burnt spaghetti and meatballs, spinach salad and doughnuts...mmmmmm
And on Saturday, after only an hour of sleep, i woke up to Scott loudly whispering my name...I ran to the bathroom to see what was wrong and there he was, wrapped in a towel...with his GROSHONG (iv line to his heart) LAYING on the bathroom floor. Bloody I might add...cause it FELL RIGHT OUT OF HIS CHEST! He hasn't had the thing that long and he has decided that his body was done with IV's and just...pwetht...spit the tube out of his chest. lol He called the clinic and will go back in to see Dr. R. next week, but he REALLY enjoyed his FIRST foreign object free day in 2.5 years!! He feels liberated. We think we might just be done with the IV part of the protocol and are going to see if he can just start his orals 2 months early...he can't bear to get another picc line...
So, while Scott has a gaping hole in his chest (insert joke here) we also learned that we might need new brakes...jeans were $1.99 at Goodwill this week, Ladybug is a little sick and oh yeah...Lucas broke my LAPTOP computer tonight and now I can't print my papers for my job interview on Monday.....what a week!
Sunday, February 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
The line just came right out of his chest? Oh my, how horrifying for you!
The most horrifying thing that has ever happened to me was when I was sleeping as well. This was wh en I was pretty sick and my hubby knows the golden rule "when Jennifer's asleep don't brother her at all."
So when he opened the door (which woke me slightly) and then said "Jennifer can you come here right now?" At first I was angry and then concerned. B.c in all the years we've been married, he had never woke me up from sleep unless I had been sleeping for 18 plus hours without eating!
I walked into the bathroom to see blood pouring into the door .. blood everywhere on the floor and him holding a SOCK on his chest. I'm calmly saying, 'It's okay. let me go get the first aid kid." but inside I was freaking out! He had stabbed himself accidently with a pocket knife while trying to open a package of lightbulbs or something.
Of course we did such great job taking care of it home that the ER almost did nothing for him. BUT he got 3 or 4 stitches and a tetanus shot. (only because I begged. he had a heaping hole in his chest near his heart!)
Wow, what a scary thing to happen in the middle of the night! Hope everything is ok!
That's such a sweet story about Eli and speaks volumes about his character. Good for him!
Jennifer- Your story is worse than mine! With ours there was only a little bit of blood on the floor and on his chest. Nothing flowing!! I would have freaked had he stabbed himself near the heart! Oh my!
He was a little freaked and knowing that it had gone straight to his heart was a little worrisome but his body just decided it was done with IV's! :) We met with the DR and we have a new oral protocol for now. We will see how he does without the IV treatment. We were only 2 months away from finishing IV's anyway but we are still fighting babesia.
Great story!
Sharon- Isn't that a fantastic story about Eli? It was so sweet when we realized it really is what we want our kids to do... I love those moments!
What's good is that I didn't outwardly freak out until after we were back from the hospital.
Post a Comment