Friday, March 5, 2010

Newlyweds...again

Scott and I have enjoyed a laid back, honeymoon type of week. With the surprise of his Groshong falling out last Saturday, we had a whole week of IV free vacation time...at least that is what it feels like! In our 4.5 year marriage, he has only been LD symptom free for 4 months!! It always felt like we didn't get a honeymoon period because he became so sick after his commercial fishing accident and I was so busy running a coffeehouse. I worked 15-18 hour days while he spent many days laying in bed due to the pain. That doesn't leave much time for each other!

When he started IV's in Dec. of 07, I told him that I would be waiting for him on the other side of the illness...and looking back at how hard that was...I can honestly say that I still mean it. When he got sick, it wasn't just happening to him, it was happening to me...and Autumn....and Noah....and Eli...and Lucas. I know that the changes were hard on the kids at times but I worked VERY hard at making their life normal and we found many reasons to laugh together...even while living out of a cheap hotel! During the worst part of this journey, when Scott's organs were failing, I was told that the kids just wanted a healthy dad again and it wasn't fair to them. Of course I understood that the kids would prefer a healthy dad but neither of us could change that overnight. Scott being sick had nothing to do with being fair either. By choosing an aggressive treatment we were choosing to fight this disease so that the kids COULD have a healthy dad again. That comment has stuck with me because it spoke volumes about their approach and helped reinforce my own approach. For our family, this has been a fight that involved all 6 of us. It was never about Scott being sick, dragging us down or needing to fight this on his own because it didn't fit into our life's plan...we always approached it as a family fight....and now that we are beyond the IV's (planned or not) we are ALL rejoicing in this victory!

The first day that Scott was TUBE free he wrestled and played with the kids on the couch. One of the boys said, "This is the dad I remember!" and they spent the next few minutes laughing and playing. This is what we wanted and what we have worked so hard for...for restoration...for a healthier daddy...for unscripted moments that he can enjoy with the kids...and it turns out...for a return to Newlywed status! With the extra time this week, we slept in every day, enjoyed the weather, talked, laughed, relaxed and just enjoyed spending time together. My sweet hubby has returned to his 24/7 lovey, dovey self and I am enjoying the extra hugs, kisses and sweetness. The normalcy of this week is astounding and it is hard for us to comprehend. I am so thankful that we are on the other side of that mountain and that the Lord gave me the strength and wisdom to obey...even when I didn't understand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how sweet! enjoy it :)