The funniest part of the afternoon was when Lucas and Eli were raking leaves. Lucas yells- "Hey Mom?" Yes? "I don't think I want to play the saxophone this year." "Really? Why? (I'm thinking at this point that someone told him the sax is a girl instrument too but I haven't had a chance to look up yet...) He pauses... "Well, I want to play the RAKE instead!" At this point I look over and see that he has the rake upside down and is playing air-rake-guitar...and he is giggling...and as usual he makes me laugh...
Our little man is just a few days away from 7...it's official...no more baby. With 6 we can still get away with baby-ness but 7 is all grown up. Last year at this time Lucas regressed a little and started talking in baby talk. He wouldn't do it all the time but enough that we sat down with him to talk about it. He said that he wanted to stay our baby forever and maybe for his 6th birthday we could get him presents but if we didn't get him a cake then he wouldn't have to turn 6...and he could still be our baby. The thought was super sweet and probably came from our lamenting his upcoming birthday, and how we no longer had a baby in the family...but was too much of a burden for him to carry. He even told me that he always wanted me to hold him and if he turned 6, I might not be able to... Awwww...So, we all talked about how special 6 was and how we were so proud of him being a 'big' boy and that we loved the independence he was showing. The more we rewarded his 'big boy' behavior/speech and reassured him that we loved who he was, the less he talked like a baby...now fast forward one year. Lucas is definitely a big boy (and was at 6 too) but in the last few weeks he has been talking like a baby again. It starts while they are playing with their stuffed animals but then carries over into other conversations. We talked about it again last weekend and reassured him that we are ok with not having a baby, baby anymore and that even when he is 30 he will always be our baby...nothing like confusing your 6 yr. old, right? Besides....who says that there isn't another child in God's plan for us? You never know...
Here are some cute pics of Lucas...from 04, 05 and 06.
I can't believe he is turning 7 next week!



1 comment:
Wow, it really does go by all too fast. It kind of makes me sad to start thinking of Quinn as being 4, 5, and/or 6 years old. And you are right about the comment you left......I think Derrick and I are definitely going to be in for it come the teen years with Sloan, if Quinn doesn't take us there first. Maybe Quinn will be like Kristin and be that perfect child. :) Wait....then that would make Sloan me....oh, girl....I AM IN TROUBLE!!! (HA!)
Post a Comment