Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Prison Break...

July 6- Last night at OMC.


I am happy to report that my mom was released from her prison room at OMC after 87 days! Open heart surgery has been quite the experience. This normal 5 day hospital stay has turned into a lifetime for her and she is ready to move on. After 1 open heart surgery, a NEW mitral valve leak created after surgery, 2 pacemakers, 5 pacemaker surgeries and being brought back from the brink of death...we are moving on! Thank you God! She is now in a rehab facility near OMC and seems to be getting stronger every day. After being in bed for 3 months, I was very pleased to see her sitting up in bed waiting for me on the day of her release. She even dressed herself! I know it is hard to imagine but that is a huge step for her! The nurses said that she had been waiting on the edge of her bed for almost 2 hours. We had lots of visitors stop in to say goodbye. Nurses who had worked with her the week before were amazed at her progress and we even had to wait on her heart surgeon to check her one last chest xray before we could leave. He said that the xray looked better than he had imagined it would and that mom could leave. We were nervous but excited for the next step.

She has done pretty well at the rehab facility and does rehab 2-3 hrs a day. She was sick to her stomach 2 days ago and that lead to a migraine yesterday. Needless to say, that has slowed down her rehab a little bit but she continues to push herself every day. They have a nice cafeteria where all 17 of the patients meet and the kitchen is stocked with drinks & snacks. She really likes the nurses & staff and has a nice room to herself. She does not feel she is getting stronger but she can stand up/sit down, wheel herself to the bathroom, use the bathroom (no commode, yeah!), feed herself, dress/undress herself. I know that this is MAJOR progress but she still feels it is too slow. Something has happened to her right hand as well and she has been unable to use it like she did pre-op. She is learning to do more left handed but can't draw like she wants to. I am praying that she will be able to use that arm/hand again. I give her a shower every other day, do her hair, rub her back, legs and feet and do the extra things that she is not strong enough to do yet. I am a nervous ninny now and ask her if she is ok every time she moves too slow, grimaces or is quiet too long. I need to learn to relax and not be afraid that her heart is going to stop anymore. Please keep praying for her strength to return and for her heart to be at peace where she is right now. We love you all and appreciate your prayers, cards, calls & food. You have been a huge blessing to our family!

2 comments:

Aaron Childers said...

You made me tear up but in a good way. I'm so happy that she is doing better. I will continue to pray for her. (and for you) You are totally awesome!

DDawson said...

Thanks Aaron! Your comments always make my day! :)