Thursday, July 16, 2009

Lunch & Visits With Grandma

Grandma has had 4 sweet babies praying for her since Dec. 08 when they first found her severe heart murmur. The kids pray for her at lunch, dinner and bedtime and they fight discuss who gets to go with me each evening. I have really enjoyed the one on one time with each of the kids because they really have a chance to shine when you remove the temptation to compete.

This last week I loved my time with Eli as we snuck in a snack, loved on Grandma and then went shopping for her. He was such a great helper although I may never let him push the cart again...I lost A LOT of skin...and my achilles is still sore...poor Eli felt so horrible as I limped my way thru the store and if I grimaced...it only made him feel worse...so I tried not to but owww. It was the worst shopping cart/heel accident we have ever seen...ug.i.lee On a side note, Eli is a great conversationalist! He is interesting, has great opinions, holds his own and keeps people entertained. Not only that, but he genuinely listens when he is talking to you (just like his daddy)! I told him that someday his wife was going to love that...which made him grin from ear to ear. He is so loving and sweet and I love his early morning, mid-morning, lunch-time, post lunch, early afternoon, evening and bedtime "watch-out-I'm-Jumping-In-Your-Arms" hugs! I will never be too old for those...even when I'm 90.

Lucas and I tried to visit Grandma on Tuesday but we had to make a run to Ottawa and it became too late to see her. He was so disappointed as he wanted to spend some time with her in her new "rehab" home. We had to go to her house and that actually made him sad. He said the poor house was all alone...it had no one to turn it's lights on, run the water, flush the toilet or use the kitchen cause Grandma was in the hospital. He said the house must be sad. He keeps telling us that he wants to move back in with Grandma. He misses her house and all the fun we had with her. He misses Shadow and Chloe too. We had a lot of good times living with Grandma and I loved it when they would run in the door calling her name. That house is filled with Grandma's love and the kids know they are safe.

Noah has been my biggest helper while Grandma was still at OMC. He wanted to go every night just to see her, talk to her, help her and see what funny things she would say. :) Most of that was due to drugs but funny nonetheless. We had many one on one adventures and even got stuck in the hospital during a swine flu scare. He became a pro at helping Grandma and even helped her walk down the hall the week we left. Grandma thinks he should be a doctor...

Autumn hasn't had an opportunity to see Grandma as much as the boys but it is fun when us girls get to be together. She talks non-stop but just showers Grandma with love and grace. I love her sweet heart! She was the first one to see Grandma at Rehab and we all worked on a skit that she needed to memorize. I love how being a step-grandparent never comes into play. Grandma has always been Grandma, with no fighting over her title and what the kids are allowed to call her. Grandma has always loved them unconditionally and they have responded with fierce loyalty. They are amazing kids!


After months of YOU praying for her and for us...we were able to spend an hour with Grandma while eating lunch with her at Rehab! It was very exciting for all the kids and for Scott and me. I wanted to (of course) document the event and let you see her out of the hospital and alive! We all stopped in to see her on Tuesday and as we left she invited us to come back on Wed. We pre-ordered our meals and had our own dining room/restaurant experience. Grandma was in pretty good spirits (her migraine was almost gone) and the kids had great table manners. I was so proud of them! They even ate tomatoes without complaining! WooHoo! They are such sweet boys and they sure love their Grandma. I am so thankful for these moments...please bear with me as I will say that many, many times...

No comments: