Saturday, February 5, 2011

The World's Second Youngest Barista

I got a call yesterday to fill in at the coffeehouse. I was laid off the first week of January because it is their slow season but if I am still "full time jobless", I will get my regular shifts back in March. The last two weeks I have worked 4 days for a sick barista and this morning Eli went with me. The boys LOVE to work at the coffeehouse and are quite skilled. Lucas came last Saturday and we worked our buns off! This weekend was the same and Eli made me proud. He woke up on his own and was singing while he was getting ready for work...at 6:30 in the morning! He made it easy to go to work so early because he kept me laughing!


Eli wanted to do everything so during our shift he ground the whole coffee beans, made the big pots of coffee, pulled muffins and bagels for customers, sliced them, put them on the grill and prepped all the food. He moved up from there and started packing the porta filter with espresso and pulling perfect shots. After a few shots, I would steam the milk, put the flavor in the cup and let Eli finish up the drink while I went back to the register to help the next customer. He was AMAZING! I showed him what a bad pull of espresso looked like and once during the busy time I noticed that he was pulling shots again and when I asked why....he said he had pulled bad shots and was doing it again. If you have never had or trained Barista's you might not understand why that is so amazing but let me tell you...IT IS! At 10 he wanted to do his best and redid a drink even though we were busy....I was such a proud MAMA! He is an outstanding young man and I LOVE hanging out with him!

We did pretty well with tips today and Eli even got some extra tips from some sweet little ladies. Almost every customer commented on my helper and I swear people tip more when I bring the kids! I love it that the kids get to have this experience that helps them talk to people, teaches them how to follow directions and gives them a chance to think on their feet...when you have to listen and respond accordingly and make multiple decisions in a short amount of time. Being a barista is just great training for life and the boys have done really well each time they help...Can you tell I am proud? :)
We had a great time today and I LOVE hanging out with my Eeps.

2 comments:

Sometimes_Carol said...

Hubby & I help with the coffee cart @ church & love it! Hubby pulls shots & finishes drinks while I take orders & steam milk :)

Sounds like you guys had a blast! Love it when kids love to work hard & do their best!

DDawson said...

Isn't coffee just good for the soul? It takes a good team to be able to make drinks together! :) We had a great time and they keep begging to go back. My kids are hard workers and I am soo proud!