Friday, June 25, 2010

Father's Day

Father's day always brings a mix of emotions for me. Before Scott came along with the babies, I hadn't celebrated Father's day in 8 years because my dad died in 1997. I was only 19 at the time and the 6 month battle molded the person I am today. My sophomore year of college was an exhausting, emotional roller coaster and I really got a glimpse of who I was and what I believed. My father was a good man who loved me very much and I still miss him every day. I wish that we had more time together so he could have met my amazing husband and sweet children. He would have loved them too. Every year I think of my dad and wonder what life would be like if he were still here and I always wish he was.

As I was unpacking tonight, I found the beautiful set of china that my dad bought for me my freshman year of college. I believe it is the last gift my dad gave me and it is a valued treasure to me. It is girly with pink flowers and delicate features. It is a great example of how my dad saw me. I really miss him.

Now that I have a sweet husband, I have really enjoyed celebrating Father's Day again. It is an honor to help the kids celebrate and honor their father who loves them more than anything. One of my roles as his wife (in my opinion) is to show the kids how to respect him with their words and actions. When they see us interact and watch our relationship I know that we are setting a good foundation for their future relationships. Scott is an amazing, loving and patient daddy who has sacrificed so much for his kids. They love him dearly and I am so proud to be a part of that relationship.


The boys woke Scott up with breakfast in bed to start off his Father's Day. They were soo cute while running around in the kitchen. Coffee, juice and Eggo's were on the menu and even I got to share in the cup of coffee! We spent most of our day at home and Scott even managed to sneak in a little nap too. Since we had had a busy Saturday celebrating my birthday, Scott had to use some of his afternoon time to study...so while he was gone the boys and I decided to set up the Music Room as Scott's Father day present. The boys helped me move and unpack boxes, set up the music equipment and clean the room...and as soon as Scott texted to say he was here you should have seen them making their final touches and running to the elevator. They love their daddy so much and were sooo excited about his surprise! All 3 boys (Autumn is on a 3 week missions trip) led Scott back to the room while he closed his eyes and boy was he surprised!


The music room did just what we wanted it to....it inspired all the boys to start playing and they had a nice little jam session. I love how music is just one more thing they have in common with their daddy and it strengthens their bond each time they jam. Grandma and I enjoyed a little concert while they "bonded".


Lucas is really working the electric guitar and asks to play it every day...all day...and he is really excelling at making some super cool sounds! Makes daddy so proud!

These two have some amazing musical abilities and they think alike too. Very similar these two....

As a special Father's Day treat we snuck over to "Aunt Tweety's" house for a little late night swim...and Scott taught Lady Bug to jump in and swim...which she does about 30 times a visit now! If a kid jumps in she is right behind them and we think she is trying to "save"them...very sweet.

Happy Father's Day to the WORLD'S GREATEST DAD!

5 comments:

Sharon said...

what great pics :) I love the loft and the "music room" idea.

Happy belated birthday! I'm glad your hubby and kids made it special for you.

Sometimes_Carol said...

Sounds like a great Father's a Day!

Love that they have music to bring them closer!! Too many families don't have something like that to draw relationships closer... My hubby & my son just started lifting weights together & I love seeing them bond through this :)

Vicky said...

It's nice to have you back! I bet Scott loved his Father's Day gift and that the boys had a great time putting it together. They are lucky to have a mommy who loves their daddy as much as you do. We miss you guys!

DDawson said...

Thanks Sharon! Some day when the loft is finished I will put up more pics...but now it is still unorganized...My husband has had a music studio for several years and even though he hasn't been able to record because of his LD we hope he can get back into it. The kids LOVE the music room and practice almost every night...aww...the sound of the electric guitar... :)

DDawson said...

Chapmans-Music is such a great way to bond! I bet weight lifting would be great too...that reminds me...i need to take the kids back to the Y...for some family bonding! :)