Saturday, August 29, 2009

4th Grade Strings & 5th Grade Band

School just started and already the kids are quickly filling up their calendars with extra curricular activities...I have a feeling it is only going to get busier as they get older. This year, Noah and Eli have both decided to start playing an instrument in the band/strings program. Eli chose the Cello and Noah chose the saxophone. The music teachers recommended that Noah start on the clarinet and then move to the saxophone next year. Even though Noah was told that the clarinet was a girls instrument, he persevered and is pretty excited about band class. I played the saxophone for 4 years and gave it up when I had to choose between Annual Staff or band but we have had it out several times for the kids to play. Lucas has also decided to play the saxophone (he tells me he wants to be my saxophone buddy) and he would like to practice this year on mine, while Noah learns the clarinet first. I can't tell you how happy daddy is to have 3 boys actively pursuing music! I think our band might be coming together at last! Now we will have a cello, clarinet, saxophone, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, drums, keyboard, native american flutes and a ukulele to choose from. What fun!

We went to Lawrence today to get the instruments from Hume Music. Scott went to LLTI school with Mary Hume and we called her when the boys decided they wanted to play. She got us the instruments and the boys were so excited to pick them up today. Lucas was a little bummed that he wasn't getting his instrument today (it is at grandma's house) but I think he will be ok till I can pick it up. :) I didn't get a pic. of Noah with the Clarinet but I got a cute one of Eli with the 1/2 size Cello. We ended up getting him the 3/4 size so he has a little room for growth. I love the Cello, it is just beautiful! Eli's first class is Monday and Noah's is after Labor Day so I will be sure to update you on how they are progressing.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

As a band director's daughter, it is better to start off on Clarinet before moving to Saxophone. :P So the guy isn't giving you a line of bull. :O

DDawson said...

That is so good to hear. Way back in the day when I started Sax...they didn't have us do that but maybe it was because it was a smaller school. An adult in Noah's life told him that only girls play Clarinet!! That was frustrating for us because we really want to encourage music, not turn him away from it.