Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Reception

So Monday was the big day for mom and we got there early with some samples of her artwork. Kasey, the therapist who nominated her, wanted us to bring some of her pottery and paintings because that is one of the things they loved about mom. She became their resident artist and they loved her creativity and spunk. She said that some patients go down in history as being one of the famous ones....the kind that get talked about long after they are gone....the kind who only have a first name...like Madonna, Cher and Mary Ann...

The reception was held in their new rehab facility...



There was a nursing newspaper there who interviewed mom, her home health nurse and me for an article they are publishing in their October edition. When I get a copy of it I will post it here for you to read. It was sort of like a family reunion! We had some dear friends who could make it and then we got to see all of moms favorite nurses, aides, therapists and even some doctors who took care of her in the last year. I was so touched that the aides came down from 3E to give her hugs and tell her they missed her. They really are a great group of people and I actually miss seeing them! It was sort of like camp, where you pick up right where you left off...and it was a very nice honor for them to give mom.

Here is the woman of the hour...and I worked really hard on her hair! She lost all of her hair while in the hospital and now that it is growing out we are experimenting with new styles. I managed to put it up in a little bun with a ribbon barret and cute little curls. It was different to see her hair, "poofier" than it has ever been but it was cute.
This is mom with one of her therapists, Kasey, who nominated her...
This is the director of the rehab facility giving mom her award and gift. We also had appearances by the COO of OMC and someone from the Olathe Mayor's office who used to be the Mayor...cant rem his name...
This is Kasey giving the epic tale of mom's hospital stay and her progress. Her first day of therapy was in the ICU when they had to pull her up and sit her up on the bed...and then the dates that she began to walk and progress. She also mentioned that on June 18, 2009 they called us to the hospital to say our goodbyes because they didn't think she would make it thru her 2nd pacemaker surgery the next day (my birthday!) but Kasey said mom wasn't having any of that because that next day after her surgery she extubated herself and kept right on fighting for her life!
Here she is with her certificate and gift...
Some of our favorite staff at OMC...
More of our favorite people coming to give mom a hug.
It was very touching for Kasey and the girls to nominate mom for this little honor because it meant so much to her. My mom has never fought for anything as hard as she has fought for her life and it meant a lot to be recognized for that hard work. She is a creative, spunky artist who will keep on fighting till she makes a full recovery. *On a side note- I wish I had thought of having someone take a photo of mom, Scott and me but I forgot.... :( Maybe next year when she gets Citizen of the Year! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Dawnua for the pictures. I pretended that I was there. Mary Ann look very good and her hair was pretty. You did a good job. Love ya, Claudine

DDawson said...

You're welcome sweet Aunt. I wish you could have been there but am glad the photos helped you "enjoy" the party. Mom was touched by the whole event. Love you!