Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Coffee, Ghosts & Labor Day Weekend


Now that I have 3 part-time jobs, life tends to be a little more complicated (is that possible?) and weekends are exhausting. But even though I worked a crazy weekend schedule, our family still managed to have a great Labor Day together. One of my part time jobs is working for my landlord...at one of the Haunted Houses...and that started the last weekend of August. I get to dress up as a Southern Belle and scan tickets at the door...I get to be sweet, southern and even sassy when needed. While I don't have a good pic of my outfit yet, you can get the idea here...

Every night when I come home (and the kids are still awake) they come running to the door to see me. My makeup has to be really dark so it can be seen while in the dark foyer and Lucas thinks the dark lipstick is super girly. I kissed his cheek a few times so he could have the lip print and he just giggled...
On friday I worked as a Southern Belle from 6:30pm-12:30am, came home to eat dinner, in bed by 2 and up at 7:15 to get to my second part time job at a local coffeehouse. Noah came with me and read his book while I worked hard from 8am-1:30 pm. Once I got home I helped mom at our pottery/jewelry booth in the WB till 4 when we packed it up and moved it back upstairs. After a quick nap I got ready and back to the Beast by 6:30 and worked till 12:30 am again. I ate dinner, got to bed and back up at 7am to open the coffeehouse for the Sunday rush. I worked till noon and then rushed home to help get our picnic stuff ready for the park.

We went to one of our favorite parks (where the dog beach is) and had a fantastic picnic. Somehow I forgot to take pics of all the yummy food but I did get one of Eli enjoying the grilled corn. My hubby is a fantastic cook!

The kids explored the little creek and found a water fall and a whole "kingdom" to rule.
Eli became the Water Ruler and he and Lucas pronounced me the "Water Princess"...and because I take my duties seriously I went to the waterfall to look over my kingdom.
Lucas was the Guard and they "allowed" the forest king (Noah) to join them at their palace.
Aren't they cute? Even with those fake smiles? :)
We had such a beautiful Kingdom to rule.
And then, as the Water Princess was cleaning up the remnants of lunch, a fight broke out between rulers...
Don't worry, the Guard is only faking it...
Oh Uh....you better run Guard...
The highlight of our day was taking 2 canoes out on the lake and rowing to the other side...only it was soooooo windy that we had a very hard time getting there. I took Eli and Lucas with me and Scott took Noah. I left the camera in the car because Eli thought we were going to tip for sure and I didn't want to chance it. When we first got in our boat Lucas was in the front but because it was so windy I had them switch out so Eli could do the paddling. Lucas wasn't sure he liked boats...BEFORE we got in the boats he told me how much he loved them...and once we WERE IN the boat he said he likes boats but he didn't like to be IN one...When we made our way across the lake I spotted some mussels and the boys were so excited to find some treasures. I had Lucas get out of the boat and walk along the edge so he could dig up our treasure. He was so excited! He yelled out to Scott and Noah that we had found the "bestest of the bestest thing ever. It was awesomer than awesome!" We collected 9 open shells, explored a little more and then let Lucas take us home. Once he was in control and paddling, he decided that he loved boats again and with the wind at our back we got back to the dock in no time.

These are our treasures. Eli cleaned them up and the boys want me to make jewelry out of them. I love it that they are very happy with the little things in life. They don't need to have a lot of "things", they just need our time and attention.
We had such a great day and I LOVE spending time with my boys!

2 comments:

Sharon said...

You are staying so busy. I don't know how you keep up!

P.S. I love the family picture at the bottom.

DDawson said...

My secret is to sneak in a nap at least once a week and to REALLY enjoy coffee! :)