Friday, September 9, 2011

What led up to the new school year.....

Since we took a mad dash vacation to NM the week before school started we only had 5 days to adjust to reality before the hectic school schedule set in. I just can't believe how fast life is pushing forward! I am working 50+ hours a week and it is really all consuming. I wish I had the luxury of part time hours or shorter weeks but I am thankful for having a good job!

When Scott made his leather bag Lucas decided he needed one too. Lucas designed it and made it very simple and easy to use. Scott finished it up the day before school and wrote a very sweet note on the inside flap. He is such a good daddy!


Scott's bag is on the left and Lucas' is on the right. Cute right?

The boys started school on Aug. 15th and it was a little strange this year because we didn't get all three boys for the night. We only had Noah and Eli while Lucas was at his mom's house with his grandma babysitting him. We always take a group shot of the 3 before school but due to major miscommunication and assumptions (on prob. both sides) we didn't get our group photo. :( And Scott didn't even get to see Lucas before class. It was actually quite frustrating and stupid...but I digress...

 This is Eli's 6th grade class...

I managed to get to Lucas' classroom before it was too late but this is the only shot I got. Boo Hoo...
But isn't he just the cutest?

The next week Noah reminded me that we needed our "first day of school" shot...so there ya go...just ignore the unpainted door frame...it's a work in progress, remember? And aren't these boys beautiful?!?

The weekend after school started we hit up another drive in movie theatre and saw Rise of the planet of the apes. Great movie by the way! Man my family is cute!

This is where you should see photos of the KC air show that took place on Aug. 20th. I brought my camera and we set up on the top of Stowe building in the West Bottoms. It is near the downtown airport and makes for great seats! We had only been on the roof for about 20 minutes when the first plane we watched doing amazing acrobatic tricks and maneuvers.....crashed. And I was sick to my stomach that the kids watched a man die...and I couldnt take any photos. :(

And then on Sunday we went to our much anticipated Ethnic Festival. The festival that we talk about all year long and dream of the exotic food we can try. This year it was only 90 degrees but was super humid and suffocating.....that's a little forshadowing for you....


These are banana leaves wrapped around sweet sticky rice, red beans and a banana. So yummy!

Rose petal water and curry empanadas...

Hahahaha....love this!



After walking around for about an hour, drinking 1 bottle of water, some thai tea and coffee and some other strange things....I tried to pass out. We sat down for a few minutes to eat something from Greece (I think) and I was too hot. When every one got up to leave....I couldn't stand up. Suddenly I couldn't hear, everyone sounded far away and I was overwhelmed with anxiety and bright lights...I told Lucas to go get daddy. When Scott got back he helped me get to some shade and I tried to cool down. It took me 30 minutes to feel decent again. It was horrible! It took them about 20 minutes to get me some help and the very nice paramedic put some oxygen on me and that helped too. My diagnosis? Heat exhaustion. Man is that ugly stuff! I couldnt see, couldnt hear, had a low BP, was seeing stars and felt like I needed to get OUT OF MY BODY....very. weird. Needless to say, it cut our trip short and I went home to get fluids and a nap. Whew!

Once School started the boys picked out their instruments and are doing well. Eli is playing the cello again, after taking a break last year to play the bells. His teacher says he is keeping up with his peers even after missing a year and she is impressed. Noah is doing great also and is playing 2 instruments this year. He is continuing to play his clarinet in 7th grade band but is also now playing the Tenor Sax for Jazz band. He is doing a great job on both and daddy is so proud! This year Lucas has the opportunity to learn the violin and he is quite excited about that. His violin is so cool too! Here Noah is jamming along with some Jazz music on itunes...


Two days before school started I went down to Otown and worked on a rental. It is the one that was trashed so badly last year. It is almost done and has been quite the undertaking!

After I worked at the rental, I went and picked up Grandma! She is back with us for a few months and doing pretty good. She is still struggling with her shingle pain and her balance but she pushes herself every day. One Sunday night we had Eli over for a special night and we took him and grandma out for Chinese food. We tried all sorts of weird things off the bar and had a great time together. The kids are glad to have grandma back at home and I am so grateful for her help during the day! She does a lot of deep cleaning for me while I am at work! 

So...there you go....busy, busy, busy....and someday I will finish our NM vacation pics too. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved seeing y'all in New Mexico and finally meeting the family!

The pic of your mom, looking so GREAT, brought a huge grin across my face. Just sayin'.

DDawson said...

THanks Dana! I loved seeing you and your family too! We should meet more than once every 8 years!! :) And doesnt she look good there? She is getting better every day. :)