Sunday, October 31, 2010

Decorating for Noah’s Birthday Party

When the boys came home on Friday (before Halloween) Noah was all set to decorate the loft.  I picked them up early and we made a few last minute shopping stops and found him some mini skulls, some candy, some groceries and some fake blood and fangs for Lucas. The boys and I had a lot of fun shopping and planning for the Halloween/Birthday weekend.

Since I worked this fall during nights and weekends and the boys were sick our one free Sunday….we missed going to the Pumpkin patch. It has been a family tradition since the first year I met them and we were disappointed not to be able to go for our 7th year but when we went grocery shopping the store had a great little Pumpkin Patch with hale bales and signs saying…Take your fall family photo here!….so that’s what we did….we “walked” thru the pumpkin patch (bins) and found our perfect pumpkins and took a kid pic. Not our usual experience but we still had fun…these boys make anything fun.


When we got home, Noah insisted that just the two of us were allowed to decorate so we hung green spider webs on everything. The elevator gates, the candle holders, the chandelier and the dining room hutch. Then the boys decided to decorate their rooms with more webs and the pumpkins they found that day. I didn’t have much time before I had to leave for work but we got everything Hauntified before I left…



Sunday was the big day for Noah’s family party and while Scott took Noah to go get Autumn, Lucas and I worked our magic. Noah had decided on a fun flavored cake…ROOTBEER….so Lucas and I made, baked and decorated the cake in a grayish, spooky color and topped it off with the mini skulls and blood…perfect for a 12 yr old right? Lucas wrapped all the presents for me while I worked on the birthday dinner and by the time everyone got home the table was ready…but before we started the party I had Noah help me with his dinner. His all time favorite meal is Meatloaf cupcakes with garlic mashed potato icing. He has become quite the little cook. Our recipe changes a little each time we make it but we have a secret ingredient that we use every time and they are just soooo delicious. Noah made them from start to finish, following all my directions and while he did that Eli made his famous garlic mashed potatoes. These boys are amazing in the kitchen and we have so much fun each weekend when we cook together. We just LOVE to bake and cook! Eli also made some sweet potato mashed potato icing too….and of course I forgot to take a pic cause they were gone so fast! Once the cupcakes were in the oven we started our party.


Our parties are little family events but we like them that way….small, private and relaxed. The main thing for Noah this year was getting stuff for his new room. He gets his own room now and he wanted to paint it with a music theme. We are going to do gray walls with music instruments and notes throughout the room. I found this great comforter bed set that is black and gray with a huge guitar on one side with matching pillowcases. It was perfect! We also found him an artist table at our favorite Restore (where we found Lucas’ fav. present). Noah is a budding artist and Grandma and I love to reinforce that whenever we can. He got more art supplies for his birthday too and within minutes of setting up his table had drawn a couple cartoons.


After the party and a great Chiefs game, we all got ready for Halloween...I got ready for work and the boys put on their scariest faces. Can you tell Lucas' was a Vampire? Doesn't the hot pink mohawk, fangs and blood give it away? We had a great birthday weekend!


No comments: