Sunday, April 4, 2010

Parenting & Rambling

Oh man....what have I gotten myself into? I am a parent of a 13, 11, almost 10 and 7 yr old....I sort of thought they were going to stay tiny, cute and sweet smelling a little longer than they did....but no such luck...

Noah announced this weekend that his 5th grade teacher told the class that they need to take showers every day...because they stink...we knew it was coming because his teacher "warned" us in Oct....app. it always happens half way thru 5th grade...and I sort of think Noah was proud of their stinkiness!

Last year, Noah was anxious about March 9th...because that is when he was going to start puberty...at least that is what his friends told him...when what really happened was that they got to watch the first of many health videos...

When we live in Fl. we won't worry about showers...just go to the beach every day!

Eli is very comfortable in his skin and will do anything for a laugh. He went to see grandma with me twice this weekend and we had some great conversations. He does such a great job when he is with her and always asks about her day, how she is feeling and they tease each other. He is turning 10 in May and we are already planning his Decade celebration. We started this with Noah and Eli can't wait to be the next in line. We find 10 fun and often free things to do and celebrate every year they have been on earth. The kids love it and Lucas is trying to plan the same thing for his 8th...a decade celebration is lost on a 7 yr old. Eli is most excited about his Birthday breakfast with me and daddy before school.

We spent the weekend Spring cleaning and I was only hurt 3 or 4 times. I stepped on a screw while barefoot and put a nice hole in my foot...which bled...and Eli ran to the bathroom to get me a bandaid, cotton swab and alcohol to clean my wounds. He had me fixed up in no time. I spent 4 hours moving beds in the kids' rooms, rearranging, going thru old clothes, packing away winter clothes and pulling out summer clothes. I yelled at one of the beds and told it how much I didn't like it. Lucas told me that he wanted to go get daddy for me and when I told him that he was busy, Lucas said, "But daddy's always want to help their wives with whatever they need. They like to help!"....and about 3 minutes later daddy came to the rescue! Daddy's ALWAYS come to the rescue....

So, while our weekend was crazy, filled with back bending work with 3 stinky boys....I wouldn't change it for the world. It is true that I didn't quite know what I was getting into 5 years ago...and I know that I am not prepared for 2, 3 or 4 teenagers but I know that as long as we keep talking to each other and laughing at each other...we are going to be just fine.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

LOL I remember those health and hygiene videos. My kids' teachers sent home free sample packs of Always pads and deodorant. It was a springboard for many frank discussions about puberty...and sex.

DDawson said...

well, we didn't get any free samples but it did spark...THE talk...and hubby did a great job with that. He does such a great job parenting! Now, two more kids to go with THE talk...lol