Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hard Heads, Easter Bonnets and the Color Purple....

We have had a busy week here with more and more activities planned for the rest of April & May. The last two months of school are always packed full of musicals, concerts, field days, field trips, outdoor activities and more. This past week Scott and I have been working on a few "projects" and the family is pretty excited about the changes coming next month.

Our first bit of good news is that my mom has finally left the rehab hospital. She was in rehab for about 5 weeks and came home on Thur. She will have home health services where a nurse, physical and occupational therapists come work with her in our home until she passes all of their tests. Once her lungs get strong enough we can wean her off of her bottled oxygen and then she will be ready to move back to her own home. I am surprised at how much she has aged in the past year and at this point she does not look like the 68 yr young woman that she is. I look forward to the day when she can walk without assistance, breath without bottled oxygen and she is able to drive and go back to her beloved home. It has been such a long year for her and I just want her to be healthy. I am so thankful for her life and the extra time we will have together now. Her heart is strong and working great and we are so grateful for that.
Scott and I went to visit mom on Wed. night and mom was gracious enough to model her Easter bonnet that the therapists had her make for therapy...and then my sweet hubby was a good sport and let me take a photo of him...such a fantastic husband!

The bad news with mom is that she fell on Thur. morning before we picked her up from therapy. She got up too fast, became a little dizzy, reached for her wheelchair...and hit the concrete floor when the chair wasn't where it was supposed to be. The nurses called me to warn me of her injury before we picked her up and I am glad they did. She had a huge goose egg above her right eye and her head and right eye were already purple. She was in good spirits and felt pretty good considering....Scott and I ate lunch with her, met her friends, wheeled her around to say goodbye to patients and staff, watched as she got lots of hugs and everyone told us how much they loved her. It was a sweet goodbye. On friday, mom really felt her fall and was in a lot of pain. Both of her eyes were working on swelling and her home nurse made her first visit...and immediately sent us to the ER. We got a CT scan and xrays on her right hip and pelvis. Thankfully, there were no cracks or breaks and they sent us on our way.


I know these photos are graphic but I KNEW the Aunts would want to see it for themselves...She looked pretty good on Thursday but we knew it would grow...and get worse...You can see how it progressed from Thur. to Saturday. Today she only has little slits left for eyes and is in a lot of pain. Although this is another setback for her...at least we know this will pass and she can heal and get strong again. Please pray for her as she sleeps, heals and tries to endure the pain and monotony.

7 comments:

Susie said...

You, my dear, are a precious person. And what a great husband. Today's message brought tears to my eyes for your mom. Gosh, I remember her only in high school with her beautiful long hair and beautiful smile.
Isn't your Mom a wonderful, really strong, and remarkable lady. I just turned 67 this month. So we will just continue to pray for your Mom - for God to hold her, to heal her, and give her the strength she needs to grow stronger - so she can rally and do the things that she wants to do.
Does Sandy read this blog?
Well..........my love to you all.
Thank you for the blog.

Susie Russell-Melendez
happygarden1001@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to see that your mom is struggling with one more obstacle on her road to healing. I have been following your blog for some time now and feel like I know your mom very well. I am also impressed with your husband. He seems to love you and your mom very much. I bet he is every Mother-in-law's dream! You are one lucky lady! I will continue to pray for your sweet family.

Sharon said...

Continuing to keep your mom in my prayers

DDawson said...

Dear Susie- Thank you so much for your sweet words. My mother is amazing, I agree! :) She is the strongest person I know and has been thru so much in life but goes right on loving Jesus thru it all. She has an amazing capacity for love and gives it unconditionally. She is fighting hard to recover and I am sure she will get there sooner than we think. Yes, Sandy reads the blog if her computer/internet is working :) and I desperately need to call her back! Sorry Aunt Sandy! Thank you for your prayers Susie. It means a lot!

DDawson said...

Anon- your intuition is correct...my husband IS every Mother-in-law's dream! He loves her, helps me take care of her and would do anything for her. Respect is such an important part of a MIL/SIL relationship and I am so thankful they share that.

DDawson said...

Thanks Sharon! It has been one crazy roller coaster of a year! So glad the ride seems to be coming to an end!

Susie said...

I sent your mom a post card yesterday. Should get there in a few days. Does she have any of her high school year books? If not, is there ANY pictures that she can think of that she'd like me to send to her via email? Just let me know and I'll do it.
God bless all of you.
And Hi to my Sandy girl.

Love,
Susie in windy Las Vegas