Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Dinner To Remember...or Forget...

Remember how I said Scott and I were like newlyweds again? The house has been so quiet during the week without mom (and the oxygen machine)...when the kids go back to their mom's house...we are not quite sure what to do with ourselves...we have never really lived alone...kids came along quite quickly after our marriage (haha) and then our German exchange student moved in 3 months later. Once Martin was moving out in May, we moved another dear Japanese student in and she was with us until Dec...and then we lived with mom for a couple years...and then we moved again and it was just the kids and then grandma moved in a year later...and so on and so on...and now we are back to being alone...until Grandma finishes up with rehab again....

So, last Sunday was the official day that we moved mom into her rehab facility. She will probably be there 2-4 weeks and then will move back in with us until she is strong enough to move back to her home. I know she is looking forward to that day because that must mean I am letting her drive again too. :) Mom had us bring her some pottery for the last few days of her stay at OMC and she sold $250 worth of mugs, plates, pitchers and other little things. We packed all of that up and moved it over to the rehab place and had sold our first item within her first 30 minutes...to the dr! Mom turned around and gave us that money to go to dinner with...since we are young and single again...haha

Took me a long time to get to this story....I had been craving Zio's for quite awhile and it is on our way home from Olathe so we rushed over to enjoy our dinner for two...and the ONE time we don't have kids can you guess where they sat us? In the section with all the kids...but instead of getting snarky (that's my new favorite word) about it, we did some people watching and should write a book on all of our bad parenting observations...I had a small headache from the rehab center but figured it was due to not eating in almost 20 hours and not drinking any water or coffee either...I thought once I scarfed down a glass of water and tea that I would be set....so when that didn't work I had a few bites of our appetizer...and drank more water...my head was really becoming foggy and when our entree's came I needed to make room on the table...so I pushed the little plate towards the edge of the table....and it didn't stop...and it disappeared over the edge and....took forever getting to the floor! Once it made its magnificent crash...the entire restaurant made our acquaintance while I tried to hide in the corner...though it did make me laugh...it was such an awesome sound...and it had hang time...and I think it would be good therapy!

I tried to eat but I could only manage a few bites and quickly realized that I shouldn't eat any more...I became so nauseated that I told Scott I couldn't take it anymore....and I needed to lie down in the car...I haven't even mentioned the annoying waiter, who was just like an employee of ours, who named everything he put in front of us....here is your appetizer plate, here is your new glass of water, here is your blah, blah, blah...and he talked so fast and low it was hard to decipher his nonsense...sorry...I really wasn't feeling well...so, since Scott had just gotten his yummy steak he asked if he could finish it and then immediately felt bad that he had asked...but I insisted because I had to lie down and not move...and so I left my husband alone in Zio's to eat his dinner...I'm sure it seemed like we were fighting...I threw a plate off the table, I had my head in my hands, I wasn't eating, I left when our meal came and my husband finished his, paid the bill and left....classic!

I laid down in the back seat and waited for the earth to stop spinning...but it only got worse when Scott got in the truck and started to drive...I felt I needed to relieve the pressure in my belly but needed to get home to do it...I hate puking and had never really felt this sick before...Scott raced home...though not too fast because as he said, he just got his license back and didn't want to lose it...and as we were 5 blocks from home I sat up and told him he needed to be going faster...to me it looked like he was sightseeing...and I jumped out of the truck as we pulled in the drive...walked slowly to the door that Scotty was opening...and made my way to our tiny downstairs bathroom...and was violently ill....projectile, alien like, tragic and it ended in me crying...it was horrible...then I made my way upstairs and slept for the next few hours...

At this point, I think it might have been my first real migraine...and I don't ever want to do that again!! I was really bummed that we didn't get to enjoy our gift of dinner but it is sure to be one dinner that we will always remember....

P.S. Once Scott reads this he is going to be horrified that I wrote on the blog about projectile puking...but then again he has a weak stomach...but I'll forgive him because he did get me my fav. raspberry sherbet later that night...and did a great job taking care of me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a terrible experience! I hope you're feeling better now.

DDawson said...

I feel much, much better but am still a little freaked out by the experience!