Thursday, April 16, 2009

The love of a mother...

The love of a mother is priceless. I know this to be true. I am crying right now while I am sitting in the waiting room. Not necessarily because of my mother but because of the lady who has been on the phone for the last hour. She is in her 60's and her mother is in ICU. Her mother was doing well but when they moved her, she started to seep feces from her wound and has suddenly taken a turn for the worse. I have heard this lady have the same conversation over and over as she called her sisters and her children. She cries on and off during each phone call. She laughs as she tells her daughter how her mother told the Chaplan he could leave with the wave of her hand. He had been praying for 5 minutes and she felt it was enough...so she waved him away.

She cries harder as she tells her daughter that her mother keeps telling her how much she loves her. She keeps telling her every few minutes. I hear the lady say..."She couldn't tell me for the past 67 years but she's making up for it today"....that made me cry. I am so thankful for my mother and for our relationship. My mother tells me she loves me every time I see her and talk to her. I have experienced her love for the past 31 years and never doubted it for one moment. She is an amazing woman and I love her. I am sorry for this dear lady who had to wait 67 years to hear her mother say, I LOVE YOU. We all need and want that validation in one way or another. The daughter said she only has a few days left to live and she is going home where hospice will take over. I pray her heart will mend in their last few days together.

If you haven't told your son, daughter, sister, brother, mother, father or spouse how much you love them....now is the time.

2 comments:

Vilhjálmr said...

When Elis was in the ICU I had to make those phone calls. I hated them. When our friend Rick died, I had to do the same with old firends we had. I hated that part more than anything. Calling people and repeating the same story over and over again. Being the bearer of bad news.

The waiting room is a very sad place. I had to stop going in there, it was ripping me up to see those faces every day. It also made me realize the love people need in there as well.

Jennifer said...

Added your shirts to my blog again. :)