Sunday, April 5, 2009

Dear God...

Please be with all our new cousins and our Um..Aunt Thai (sorry Uncle Thai!), Aunt Vicky and especially Dominic and help us to move to Florida soon. Please be with Grandma (Mary) and help her heart so she can get out of the doctor's (we have been praying for her upcoming heart surgery since Dec.)
-Lucas

When we got home from our vacation the kids still had 5 days before they had to go back to school so we called them several times while they were at their mom's. Once, I asked Lucas if he was having fun and he said, "I think we forgot it was spring break cause we haven't done anything fun."

The week after our awesome vacation I had the opportunity to volunteer in Lucas' Kindergarten class and Eli's third grade class. Before we went to Florida, both of the boys had asked me to come help and I was so excited that my work schedule allowed it. Lucas didn't know what day I was coming to class so it was a big surprise for him. He was the last one to class and when he saw me he gave me a big hug and kiss and then sat down to do his K thang. I sat right behind him so I got to see him in action. It was great to see him in "his element" and to see him be a leader.

His teacher had told us that she sits the "trouble" kids next to Lucas because he makes sure that they do the right thing. If they are talking he tells them to stop talking and to pay attention. The first few times those people were moved, Lucas thought that he was in trouble but in reality, his teacher was just moving another one by his side. He did such a great job! He paid attention and when he was done with his work he was allowed to go around the room and help some of the other kids. I had lots of jobs while I was there. I helped "J" do his morning papers and worked on the alphabet with him, I read a super silly book to the class and I directed Kindergarten PE!!! I went as a helper but the teacher was so busy setting up the gymnastic bars for an older class that I ended up being the teacher. Wow...that was fun...but have you ever wrangled 40 (ok, maybe it was only 20) 5 & 6 yr. olds who needed to run, run, run? It was loud and crazy!

After PE, we went to music class and I got to see Lucas sing. Now, don't get me wrong, Lucas sings ALL THE TIME at home but they are usually only silly songs. He makes up his own songs about dinner, the stove, his family, his nose, you name it...but this time I got to see him sing "seriously". The teacher told them that he was going to be looking for "Active Listeners" who were ready to have a solo piece in the upcoming musical....guess who was picked that next week? LUCAS! He is a little nervous but he gets to sing about the letter E....

So, overall, I had a great time in his class and LOVED seeing him learn and teach his classmates. He is such a strong leader and I love watching his personality evolve..He is an amazing boy!

No comments: