Sunday, April 5, 2009

3rd Grade: Everyone LOVES Eli...

After I took Lucas to school on Monday I went upstairs to volunteer in Eli's class. I picked a great day to visit too because we celebrated a birthday AND had art class! I spent most of my day using flash cards to help the kids review for a test. I now know what a prefix and suffix is...forwards and backwards. Ha.

The best part of the day was art class! They were working in clay and I got to help make a pinch pot. My mom was an art teacher for 30 years and I majored in art(graphic design) in College...so I loved it. When I was in college, I was a substitute at my old JH/HS and even had the opportunity to teach my mom's classes for 6 weeks. I love to teach and have considered being a teacher many times....so being in an elem. art class for an hour was great fun for me.

I sat at a table with 4 little girls and guess what they talked about ALL hour? They talked about ELI!!! They had all sorts of questions and theories on who he is, how funny he is and what girls like him....and who he likes. App. the boys think that Eli gets all the girls when in reality, Eli is just a great friend to everyone...and the girls love that. He reminds me so much of Scott. He is genuine and shows sincere empathy for those around him. If Eli is your friend, you can count on him to be a good listener and to really care about you. He has such a big heart and loves to make people laugh. It was a lot of fun to hear the girls talk about Eli. One little girl asked me what it was like to be a StepMom. She wanted to know what the kids called me, did we play games, what kind of games, did we like each other and was Eli's dad nice to me... turns out this little girl has never met her father or her step-mother and she wanted to know what that relationship was like. I can honestly say that I don't think of the kids as my Step kids, they are just my family that I love. I would do anything for them. I imagine it is comparable to a parent who adopts a child. It doesn't matter that you didn't birth the child, you still love, nurture and care for the child as your own. You would give your life for the child and you would protect them at all costs.

I got some sweet compliments while I was with the 3rd graders too. One little girl said, "Ms. Dawson...You smell good!" :) and one little boy drew me a star with his smelly markers. He is one of Eli's good friends and we ate lunch with him a few months ago. He is quiet and sweet. We ended our busy day by celebrating a birthday with cake and juice and a rousing game of Thumbs Up Seven Up...wouldn't you know I was picked EVERY TIME!

I had a great time in Eli's class. His teacher loves him and it was nice to see him interact with his friends. I even got to quiz him for his test and he passed with flying colors. Not only is he kind, loving and funny....he is SUPER SMART! I was so proud of him and how he treats his classmates. I had a great time in 3rd grade and can't wait to go back!


No comments: